Medical abortion with Mifepristone and Misoprostol is one of the most effective combinations for terminating an early pregnancy that is within 10 weeks of gestation. The MTP Kit which contains both of these pills has a success rate of 96-97%; even so it is necessary to have extra pills in your possession.
First let’s find out how MTP Kit is used –
The MTP Kit is a set of one tablet of Mifepristone (200 mg) and four pills of Misoprostol (800 mcg total), which is the recommended dosage. The regimen is as follows –
- Take one pill of Mifepristone (200 mg) orally
- Take a break of 24-48 hours
- Take four pills of Misoprostol buccally. That means, to keep two pills in each cheek pouch, waiting for half an hour for them to dissolve and then swallowing them with water.
You will experience cramps and bleeding, and some side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills and weakness after taking Misoprostol.
When and why to take the second set of MTP Kit Abortion Pill
- If the woman vomits the Mifepristone before 1.5 hours she may continue to take the misoprostol as even if the medicines effect may be little impaired. If she vomited the pill immediately she needs to consult a doctor before taking another dosage.
- Misoprostol needs to be kept in the mouth for at least half hour, if she vomits the pills before those thirty minutes; she needs to take another dose.
- Woman can take an anti-emetic medicine to counter nausea beforehand as precaution, but there are still chances that she may vomit.
Make sure to take a test after one-two weeks of abortion to make sure the abortive procedure was successful.