Stat says 25% of women who wish to prevent unwanted pregnancy rely on birth control pills. Though birth control pills are an effective way of preventing a planned pregnancy, nausea is one of the side effects that it has.
Why do birth control pills cause nausea?
Estrogen is a hormone that is usually present in the birth control pill. When you take the pill, it primarily works in the reproductive organ of the body. This component gives an uneasy feeling to the woman. Hence when the woman consumes the contraceptive pill, she encounters nausea or uneasy feeling.
How can you prevent nausea while you are on the contraceptive medications?
Here are a few things that you can consider while you are on the birth control pills. Women should note that these instructions are not specifically for the nauseous feeling when you are on the birth control pills only. You may take it into consideration for nauseous feeling in general.
- First thing, Eat light. Do not consume foods that are too heavy. Not only does the heavy food increase the nauseous feeling, but it also creates hurdles in the working of medication.
- Follow a diet that does not involve too many flavoury foods.
- If you feel nauseous, have some carbonated or fizzy drinks with you.
- Ginger or lemon tea can be a good alternative to carbonated drinks.
- Have controlled deep breaths after every few hours.
- Do not get involved in any physical activity after you have lunch or dinner.
- Also, you can prevent nausea by not taking the medication on an empty stomach. Have some light, healthy food, and then begin the birth control pill course.
- If you feel that you are too sensitive for nausea, you can speak to your healthcare provider and keep anti-vomiting tablets ready.
What should you know about birth control pills?
- Birth control pills typically contain a combination of estrogen and progestin hormone. These components thicken the cervix and block the path of sperm. As a result, sperm cannot enter the uterus to fertilize the egg, thereby preventing an unwanted pregnancy.
- Additionally, the components make changes in the lining of the uterus. Hence, even if the sperm reaches the egg, the components make it difficult to have implantation or grow the pregnancy.